Suggested Questions to Ask Your Surgeon Before You Agree to Surgery:
You know you may need to have surgery, but you’re unsure as to the next steps or what to ask your surgeon. This is a short list of question you should ask you surgeon. Try to come up with others and please send them into us so we can post them for others to read.
- How many coccygectomies have you performed?
- How many were successful?
- How do you define success? (This may be quite different from how you define it!)
- Do you do only total (complete) coccygectomies, or do you prefer to do partial coccygectomies if only part of the coccyx is damaged? Why?
- Do you use clamps on the hips to expose the surgery site?
- Do you close the incision with dissolvable stitches, regular stitches, or tape?
- What is your follow-up procedure? (Some surgeons only see the patient once after surgery to check that the wound has healed. Others ask patients to come back periodically over a number of months.)
- Are you able to arrange for me to contact some of your previous patients, or have them contact me?